Want to take the academy but live too far away?
Here is one way you can do it - watch the complete 40 hour video course at your leisure. This is the most recent course that was offered. It's available online for $300.00; you'll get all the handouts, and Trish is available for questions via email. If you're interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
New! You can also enjoy the shorter behavior modules from the comfort of your home. Several courses are available - Reactive Dogs, Fear, and
Conducting Consults are available..as well as several others. Each module is $85.00. Sign up, and you'll receive the password that gives you access to the classes.
Most classes are eligible for 12 CPDT CEU's.
Academy of Dog Behavior
Foundation Course in Behavior & Training
Teaching People, Teaching Dogs
Begin with Level 1, our fundamentals course. This is a 40-hour series. Classes include lecture, video, and demonstrations with dogs.
Canine Ethology, Body Language and Social Structure
• Theories on the origin of the species and its progression to the variety of dog breeds of today.
• Body language and communication - how to interpret dog behavior and communicate as clearly as possible. Discussion of the senses, capabilities and emotions of dogs.
• The natural social structure of the dog, and how it can be used in the human/dog relationship.
Safe handling and evaluation basics
• Development of observational skills in order to predict canine behavior.
• Fundamental development of skills to maximize safety while handling dogs.
• Process of assessing dogs in order to maximize appropriate placement with potential owners
• Fundamentals of the various ways dogs learn, from social facilitation to the four quadrants.
• Begin the process of judging which learning process is appropriate in the modification process
• Equipment usage, from collars to halters to harnesses, their efficacy and usefulness
• Utilizing various methods of teaching basic skills to dogs and assessing the effectiveness of the methodologies – clicker training, modeling, luring, shaping
Solving Behavior Problems
• Development of practical strategies to solve a variety of behavior problems, utilizing management, relationship adjustment and training
21 CPDT CEU's are available for this class
"Trish has an amazing way of sharing years of experience and knowledge on canine behavior; by serving as a translator of sorts between dog speak and human speak, her teachings are not only incredibly fun and entertaining, but have an enormous educational value that is helping bridge the gap between people and their dogs, improving relationships, quality of life and giving an insight into a wildly fascinating subject."
Intensive 12 Hour Behavior Modules
These modules provide an optimal format for taking a "deep dive" into the topics of your choice. Each module is
12 hours, and the fee for each is $85.00
Shelter Evaluations -
Evaluating shelter dogs is more art than science. You need to understand the mental state of the dog you’re looking at and what the behaviors you see today might morph into tomorrow. In a very real way, you are deciding the fate of an animal, and perhaps of future owners. In this recorded course, we go through each of the types of tests currently being used, as well as actually evaluating a series of dogs, drawing conclusions and explaining our findings.
Fear is the most primitive and necessary of all emotions – but it’s also the one that interferes most with the lives of us and our companions. Fear can be the reason a dog is difficult to handle or aggressive in a shelter or in a home. Behavior modification can be subtle and time consuming, challenging for most people to deal with. As a result, fear issues can cause anxiety that wrecks havoc on our homes. This module recaps the various causes of fear, body language as displayed by different breed types, common mistakes and appropriate behavior modification techniques for both shelter and owned dogs.
Teaching Reactive Dog Classes
Reactive dogs are often removed from regular classes, where they - and everyone else - are overwhelmed. But they do need to attend classes geared just for them. In this intensive, we will discuss how to organize such classes, what to teach and how to provide the support the owners needs. We will also discuss the differences between small and large dog reactivity, and why one class won’t work for the other type of dog!
Working with Individual Clients and their Dogs (consultations)
There's an art to conducting a consultation. Of course, it includes gathering enough information to help the client. But it also involves gaining the trust of both the client and the dog. This module involves a discussion of the skills necessary, role playing and doing actual consults.
Working with Reactive dogs
This module is aimed at helping owners (or ourselves) with reactive dogs. These dogs can be just frustrated, afraid or truly aggressive. Their motivation will influence how we address the issues. It's also important to assess the response of the handler or owner, who might be inadvertently reinforcing what he or she doesn't want to. As with all behavior problems, there are no easy answers.